City 21: Multiple Perspectives on Urban Futures
From the producers of the award winning documentary Ecological Design: Inventing the Future, comes an update documentary on cities today: City 21.
This film production arises from a worldwide learning journey that was transmuted into cinematic composition illuminating some of the key perspectives + initiatives that are re-shaping the ethos of the 21st Century City.
The underlying quest of the filmmakers is to reframe the conventional and uninspiring visions of the urban future, with an unprecedented combination of fresh, invigorating, sustainable, economically viable, and life enhancing concepts.
We will get the cities to live in we deserve. City 21 is constructed for deeper educational instructive purposes.
Below are some of the themes we have explored in an effort to loosen the geometric and economic grip on the urban imagination:
- The Sacred Origins of the City: Arnold Toynbee on the origin of Civilization/City Plans through time.
- Magical Architecture: The intentional Eco-Community of Damanhur, in Northern Italy.
- Utopian Imagination: Poetry and Architecture/The Open City Project in Ritoque, Chile. Regenerative Design: Nature and Architecture, the transformation of The Biosphere2 Project into Eco-Village design with Architect Phil Hawes.
- Energy Independence: The White Gold of the North/Renewable Energy in Iceland. The City as Memory Theater: Mythic design wisdom transmitted through the generations with David Mayernik.
- The Creative Green City: The Lighthouse Project in Glasgow.
- Creating Eco-Villages: The Findhorn Experiment in Scotland
- Cities and Time: The Long Now perspective with Stewart Brand.
To view a clip, please go here.